Friday, November 9, 2012

Non-Petroleum "Petroleum" Jelly

I've been reading lately about the bad side effects of petroleum products on our health....the bad thing is, petroleum is in EVERYTHING!!! Vaseline, baby oil, mineral oil, lip gloss, anti-biotic gels....start reading labels, and you'll be amazed! So I was excited to find a recipe recently for a NON-Petroleum jelly. The recipe I found called for olive oil, but since I've been wanting to make lip gloss (most of the recipes I've found called for petroleum jelly) and I didn't want it to smell/taste like olive oil or have a green tint, I decided to substitute castor oil since it's pretty clear and has a similar consistency to olive oil. It worked out really well! 


You will need:

- 1/8 cup beeswax (grated, or pastilles...I used white pastilles so the jelly would be white/clear. You can  use yellow beeswax too if you don't mind the yellowish tint)
- 1/2 cup castor oil (or olive oil) 


Pour into a small glass jar.


Use a small saucepan of water as a double boiler.


Boil and stir until all the beeswax is melted. 


Remove from heat, and let sit until cooled and hardened thru. 


Simple, huh?! :)


When it's solid it is maybe a little harder than vaseline, but it melts to the touch and feels just like vaseline to me! It's SUPER moisturizing!!