Monday, November 12, 2012

Liquid Lip Gloss

As I mentioned in my non-petroleum "petroleum" jelly post, I've been wanting to try my own lip gloss, but without using vaseline. I couldn't really find a recipe for what I had in mind, so I experimented and came up with my own lip gloss recipe. :) Since I made this up as I went along, it's not very exact...but hopefully it will give you some inspiration as you make your OWN lip gloss! :)


I used:

~ Approx. 1 tablespoon non-petroleum "petroleum" jelly (click here for the recipe...you could try using vaseline if you'd rather not make your own. I'm guessing it would work out about the same)
~ Approx. 1 tablespoon castor oil (sorry, I didn't exactly measure...I just used what looked like about equal amounts)
~ Color - I handmade my color using Ultra Silk mica (a mix of mica and titanium dioxide) and red iron oxide (both bought from Coastal Scents). If you don't want to make your own color, you could use a pre-mixed mica pigment (I've bought several of these from Coastal Scents and have been impressed with them!) or you could try a little Kool Aid powder or dried beet powder...those are both things I've seen used in other recipes, but I haven't tried myself. If all else fails, I'm guessing a small chunk of lipstick would do the trick as well! :) 


First I mixed my color, using my mortar & pestle to grind the red iron oxide into the ultra silk mica. If you're using iron oxide, you will need to mix it using something like a mortar & pestle or coffee grinder. I've tried mixing it with just a spoon or toothpick, and while it LOOKS well blended, when you try to apply it you'll find lots of little un-mixed bits that will leave bright red streaks. Not too cool.


I think I used about 1 teaspoon of ultra silk mica, and just a FEW grains of red iron oxide. It doesn't take much, and you can always add a little more if it turns out too pale at first. 


I was going for a very pale pink...it was hard to photograph, but I liked it! The ultra silk mica has a shimmery/pearly finish which was really pretty with the soft pink color. 


Next, put roughly equal parts of jelly and castor oil into a small glass bowl, and then microwave for about 40 seconds. 


If there are any unmelted chunks when you take it out of the microwave, stir them in until it's all smooth and liquid. 


Add your color and mix. 


Stir until smooth.


I got my lip gloss containers from Elements Bath & Body


Use a plastic pipette (I ordered mine here) or dropper, fill the lip gloss tubes. You will need to work quickly as it gets really hard to work with as it cools. If you need to, you can stick it back in the microwave (pipette and all) for 5-10 seconds. 


I wound up with more than I thought, and had to run grab a third tube. :)


I really like this soft pink color!!


Next, put in the reducers, if your bottles came with them. 


Just push 'em in! :)


And there you have it!! :) Simple, natural lip gloss, NO petroleum products needed!! :)


These would make really nice gifts!


Here's a shot of my lips (do you have any idea how hard it is to take pics of your own lips?! Haha) wearing this lip gloss. It goes on thick and creamy, and lasts for quite awhile (at least for me). It doesn't leave a lot of color on, but it has a really pretty shimmer. 


It's very pale...but I like it. :)