Friday, September 14, 2012

Tinted Lip Balm

I was soooo excited when my lip balm tubes came in the mail today!! I have a bunch of ideas I've been wanting to try for lip balm, but the first one I wanted to try was a light pink tinted balm. I'm not a real lipstick girl...I like eye makeup, but I don't like a lot of stuff on my mouth. It gets dry and sticky and then my lips feel all peely...ick! I do like a little pink tho, and my lips are always dry, so a pretty pink tinted lip balm was high on my list of DIY projects. :) I mostly followed this recipe, but halved it. 


You will need:

1 tablespoon grated beeswax
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon sweet almond oil 
(I think you could substitute vitamin E oil if you don't have sweet almond)
5 drops of peppermint essential oil or any other oil you really love 
(peppermint has a cooling effect)

If you want, you could stop right there and have a nice lip balm. If you want to go for tinted, there are a lot of natural lipsticks, eyeshadows, or colors you could use, but I opted to just go with an old, regular, store-bought lipstick I found in the back of a drawer, and a white cream eye shadow for shimmer. It wasn't really the color I wanted (I wanted more of a bright pink) but I figured it would work for an experimental batch. :) 
Anyway, you will need:

1 small chunk (maybe about 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon) of lipstick (pick a much darker or brighter shade than what you want your lip balm to be, since it will be lightened by the other ingredients)
1/4 teaspoon shimmery cream or powder eye shadow

Containers for your lip balm (I used tubes I bought on eBay for about $0.21 shipped)
Dropper to fill the tubes


Put all your ingredients except the essential oil into a small, glass jar. 


Use a small sauce pan with a couple inches of water as a double boiler (boil the water in the saucepan, and set the glass jar into the water). I used a wooden skewer to stir, since I could just throw it away. This stuff is hard to clean off of things once it hardens. 


Keep stirring until all the ingredients have melted into a smooth liquid. It was sooooo shimmery and pretty! :)


Add your essential oil and stir well. I wish you could see all the sparkle and dimension...the picture doesn't do it justice. 


Quickly (this stuff hardens pretty rapidly) fill your tubes or whatever containers you want to use with the dropper. 


This recipe filled 5.75 lip balm tubes (.15 oz). It hardens so quickly that by the time I got to the sixth tube (far left) it had already gotten kinda goopey and didn't fill as nicely...that one got to be my tester. :)


Cap and let sit until cooled. 

I really liked this lip balm...it felt good, smelled good, looked good....yay! :) I'm really excited to try some other variations in the very near future. ;)